Shopping list for everything needed ahead of the baby’s arrival
The Baby Bubble. It really does exist. And you won’t want to leave it so be prepared and buy everything well in advance. This shopping list covers EVERYTHING (and a bit more) you need when you have a newborn baby at home.
4 min read
Are you panicking when thinking of everything you need to buy?
It can be a bit stressful with everything you want to buy ahead of your baby’s arrival, but keep in mind – you don’t need everything that is available. Most important is some clothes and lots of nappies. After that, relax and have a think about what’s required for you and your family to get things to work. If something is missing, you can always get it later.
The baby wardrobe:
- 5-9 pcs wrap-around bodysuits (saving you from having to pull things over the baby’s head)
- 2-3 pcs cardigans with zipper
- 4-6 pcs soft leggings with cuffs (good to grow with)
- 3-4 pcs pajamas (with zipper, great for changing nappies during night time)
- 1-2 pcs thin beanies
- 4-6 pairs of socks
For colder seasons:
- 1 quilted overall
- 1 fleece overall
- 1 lined beanie
- 1 pair of soft slippers
By the bed:
- Bedside crib
- Mattress cover
- Pillow (specific for newborn babies)
- Baby sleeping bag or quilt
- Duvet cover & sheets
- Crib bumper
- Baby nest
- Bed mobile
- Baby monitor
At the changing table:
- Changing mat (preferably in waxed fabric, easy to wipe off)
- Nappies, cloth or disposable
- Washcloths, fabric, or disposable
- Baby cotton buds (good for early navel care)
- Ointment against nappy rash
- Children’s pain relief (paracetamol or ibuprofen)
- Nasal aspirator
- Saltwater nasal rinse
- Nappy bin
- Baby manicure set
- Changing bag
In the changing bag:
- Nappy bags
- Mobile changing mat (often included with the changing bag)
- Extra sets of clothing
- Small soft towel
- Comfort blanket (you get a lot more use of this than you may think)
- + items from the changing table. Soon enough you will know what you need to bring for your baby!
In the bathroom:
- Bathing tub
- Bathing support (great bathing tub accessory)
- Bathtub thermometer
- Baby oil
- Baby shampoo/soap
- Soft bath towels
Carry & Sit:
- Baby carriers/carry wrap (read more about the benefits of carrying your baby)
- Baby rockers (traditional with calming movement)
- High chair
- Prams (find the best price here!)
- Bassinet bedding (pillow, quilt & linen)
- Mattress protection (protects against vomit and possible nappy accidents)
- Rain cover
- Insect net
- Pram toy
- Cotton blanket
- Sheepskin (cooling in summer and warming in winter)
- Pram lock (to securely lock the pram outside if it can’t be brought inside)
- Winter seat liner (required during winter months)
In the car:
- Infant car seat + car seat base
- Nursing bra
- Nursing clothes
- Breastfeeding pads (both disposable and washable are available)
- Nipple shields (great for protecting sore nipples, especially during the early days)
- Breastfeeding pillow
- Breast pump (manual or electric)
- Nipple soothing cream
- Breast warmers (protects and warms the breast during breastfeeding and helps prevent mastitis)
- Baby bottles (come in many different models, test to find out which model suits you best)
- Baby formula (again, try different brands to find out which works for your little miracle)
- Baby formula dispenser (handy to keep next to the bed or when you are out and about).
- A small thermos
- Baby formula dispenser
- Water kettle (handy!)
- Dish rack
Practical and important things:
- Pregnancy insurance
- Child health insurance
- Plan your parental leave
After childbirth (for the mother):
- Pre-cooked meals in the freezer, snacks, and sweets (you will need all energy available).
- Maternity pads
- Large panties
- Comfortable leggings
- Thermos mug (preventing you to have to drink cold coffee if you get distracted for a couple of minutes)
- Soft toilet paper
Memorialize the pregnancy and the baby’s first year by creating a photobook (nice to show to the child when they get older).
Did you know…
There is already a checklist in Preggers for you to use during your pregnancy. Removing and adding products to and from the list is easy, and you can even create a completely new list that suits your needs. Find the checklist in the main menu!
More from Preggers
Read popular and relevant articles.
Giving birth is hard work and it requires mental training and a lot of energy. Remember the following tips or make a checklist – it’s not far now!
Bumpies - Capturing Your Pregnancy Memories
Bumpies are a unique way of capturing your pregnancy journey - by photographing your growing belly instead of your face. With the Bump Booth tool, you can upload, edit, and add effects to your bumpies to create lasting memories of your pregnancy.
Girl or boy?
No, it can’t be predicted. But according to old wives’ tales, certain signs predict the gender of the child. What do you think?
Hospital bag checklist – here you get tips
Planning and preparing the hospital bag well in advance is a common recommendation - and a good idea. Maybe you can hardly think of anything other than what is now in front of you, childbirth! Then it's nice to know that the bag is ready in the hall. Here you get the best tips for the perfect hospital bag.
Not ready to tell anyone yet?
There are of course many reasons as to why you don’t want to tell anyone that you just got pregnant. And of course, it’s up to you to decide how and when you want to tell. Want some advice on how to hide the big news just a bit longer? Here are some great excuses for when you want to keep your secret to yourself just a little bit longer.